Writer: Wes
Craven
Starring:
Heather Langenkamp, Robert Englund, Johnny Depp, John Saxon
Rated: R (bloody
horror violence, terror, some sexual content, brief nudity, language)
Alright,
alright, so I didn’t pick this one at random. But come on, it’s Halloween. And
the title does start with an N…
A Nightmare on Elm Street, otherwise known as my favorite classic
horror film and the movie that scared the crap out of me as a kid. A Nightmare on Elm Street tells us the
story of several teenage friends who are haunted in their dreams by a man with
knives for fingers, a burned face and who wears a red and green torn sweater.
His name? Freddy Krueger. (Even if you haven’t seen the movie, I guarantee you
know the name).
After one of her
friends, Tina, dies, Nancy becomes determined to find out what exactly happened
to her. The boy she had been with when it happened begs Nancy to believe him
when he says he had nothing to do with it and it’s only until Nancy is haunted
in her dreams that she believes him. The more investigating she does, the more
Nancy starts to understand that Tina was murdered by none other than Fred
Krueger in her dreams and that the two of them weren’t the only ones dreaming
of him.
That really is
all you need to know. I mean it’s a slasher movie how much plot are you
expecting there to be? Basically the entire movie is Nancy discovering that her
and her friends are all dreaming of the same thing and that in order to save
her friends from dying, she must figure out a way to defeat Krueger.
Now you may
watch this movie and think it’s completely ridiculous, and I understand that.
The effects aren’t the best and the plot is a bit out there, but I personally
have always thought of A Nightmare on Elm
Street as a fantastic horror movie, the main reason being that it’s original. If you think about it, slasher/horror
movies today (or at least the popular ones) are pretty much all the same. They’ve
got your stereotypical characters you’ve seen way too many times, the
gratuitous sex scenes, the stupid and annoying jump scares and painfully
predictable plots. While Nightmare
does have a sex scene here and there and some fairly bland characters, the plot
is very different and frankly quite creepy. What scared me most about it as a
kid was how it introduced the idea that I could potentially be murdered in my
most vulnerable state. Or even worse, the fact that in my dreams – a place in
which I feel most at peace – I could be destroyed by a murderous lunatic. Even
as an adult that’s pretty scary.
Aside from the
story, there are other things I just can’t help but love about this movie. For
one, the music is great. I mean it sets the mood perfectly; it’s creepy and
even kind of catchy. Also great for scaring your best friend who just happens
to hate the fact that you made her watch the movie. (One, two Freddy’s coming for you…) I suck.
The acting is
also enjoyable. I’m not saying it’s Oscar worthy (on no), but it’s just really
energetic. Like everyone in it went just the right amount of over the top which
makes watching it way more enjoyable, what with the screams and totally
dramatic writhing around in bed. It’s great. This leads me to the last thing I
love about this movie, which is the overall energy level. It’s got suspense,
drama, comedy and lots of scares. Wes Craven was smart in not taking this movie
completely seriously and it’s clear
that he was able to poke a little fun at the whole idea. I guarantee that if you’re a fan of scary movies that you’ll enjoy this one. If you’ve got popcorn and a few friends it’s a lot of fun. I know it’s technically November now (woops) but keep it in mind for next year!

No comments:
Post a Comment